Jan 18, 2013

Cheater Chalkboard Art

I don't know about you, but I have been drooling over the chalkboard art I have been seeing all over blog land.

     
Lemonade Makin' Mama
Dream and Differ

 I thought for sure there must be some DIY kit you buy to make these lovely pieces of art that you can change with the seasons.....uh no...the creators are just amazingly talented artists.  I was at once bummed, but thought I could cheat a little and come up with my own chalkboard art, even though I am not naturally artistic.    First, I needed a chalkboard.  Months ago I updated a mirror in my 1/2 bath. I had this mirror stashed away, thinking I would be uber crafty and make it useful once again. 
 

It sat for months and months until I saw a picture, of a chalkboard with the same shape as my mirror in my fav home decor store magazine, Ballard Design.  It was about the same time I was noticing all this chalkboard art and the light bulb went off.  I could make it for less then $10.    I grabbed these supplies and got to work.





 .

 

My first step was to paint the  mirror.  I used 2 coats, letting them dry several hours in between.  then I let it cure  2 days.


 Then I made my word art on the computer, playing with fonts and sizes until I got it just the way I wanted it for my chalkboard.  I printed it off and laid it out on my painted mirror.

 

I flipped each paper over and traced the word with chalk then, I placed it on the chalkboard and rubbed it with my hand several times, to transfer the chalk to the board.  

 

I continued to do this with all words and then traced the chalk image with the chalk pens, for a cleaner look.  I used a cotton swap dipped in water to clean up any mistakes.   The regular chalk was used for shading and softening.  Then, I outlined the beveled edge of the mirror. 
  
I placed my finished product on the landing on my staircase and I love it.  The verse has special meaning to me and I love the simple reminder of Philippians 4:8 I see everyday.
 



I think the next time I do it it will turn out even better, since I am a more experienced chalkboard art cheater!  

We are off to have dinner with friends tonight and then tomorrow go see our first college hockey game.  What are you up too this weekend?














  



6 comments:

  1. Your cheater-chalkboard looks great! I love the shape of the mirror and the different style fonts you used look fantastic. Thanks for your sweet words about my chalkboard too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in awe of Jessie's chalkboard art too! And I love your too! Cheating pays off sometimes!!! :)
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart idea to trace the letters backwards and rub them on the board. It looks great!

    sagegrayson.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great!

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focusing this week on all the amazing things you can do with chalk board, Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I randomly came across your website searching for ideas for my home. I love everything I've seen on here and your ideas. When I have a family one day, I want to surround them with positivety and inspiring words from the Lord as well. To fill my home with him. I think it's amazing what your doing :-) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.