May 28, 2013

I'm Third

It's been a while I know.  Since having my middle son home in the mornings and homeschooling him, my blogging time has been replaced with schooling.  I am really enjoying it, but I'm struggling to find a "new  normal", that includes having free time for myself.

Growing up, I attend a Kamp called Kanakuk.  For a month every summer I was taught to live an
I'm Third lifestyle.  Jesus first, others second and yourself third. 

The story we were told, was about Captain Johnny Ferrier.  A pilot, who during a flight, realized his plane was going to crash and instead of jumping out and saving himself, he stayed on board and steered the plane to crash in an empty field, to insure no one else was hurt. 

In short, putting others needs before your own, is living an I'm Third lifestyle.  This past school year, has been a first for me since becoming a mother, actually having time to focus on my own interests.   Ever since I have become a mother, we have lived away from family and my kids are with me pretty much 24/7.  No shooing them off to Grandma's so I can run errands or get my hair done and certainly no one to watch them so I can pursue my "hobby".  So once school started, this year and both boys were away, suddenly, I had more free time.  Which is why I started this blog. 

With the end of school approaching, the kids being "home" all the time and the idea of homeschooling next year, I have been frantically finishing up projects, cleaning up cluttered spots around the house and planning my school year. 

So blogging, since it is strictly a hobby, has gotten the backseat.  I can't do it all.  I can't be the mom/wife I desire to be, keep up the house, cook meals, homeschool, pursue friendships with "local" friends (instead of blog ones) AND continue to blog on a regular basis.   I will still blog, just on a very loose schedule and without the pressures of joining linky parties or trying to make new connections.

Blogging has been so enjoyable to me.  I've "met" great women, gotten great ideas and felt support from complete strangers, as well as friends and family.   I don't want to lose that, but, I also want to be the mom, that is not rushing around trying to get a post out or more concerned about "my" stuff then theirs.  I want my kids to feel my presence and feel confident that they know with them is exactly where I want to be. So, I'm working on finding a "new normal." 

You bloggers, that can post daily: creating, baking, decorating, homeschooling and inspiring....I applaud you.  You seem like you can do it all, but I am humbly saying I can't, nor do I want to portray that I can.  

So, I hope you will stick around and go on this new journey with me.  I'm sure once I get in a routine, things won't seem so difficult, but for now, I'm cutting back where I can and putting my family first.




3 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with taking a break. And really, shouldn't we only be blogging when we have something to say? I'd rather see a one well-written, thoughtful post than a dozen "filler" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate!
    Kudos to you for keeping your priorities in check! Not always easy, but always bears the most fruit. You are wise to do so.
    Here's hoping I can do the same into the summer and as homeschooling rocks my world, too! ;)
    Blessings,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a military wife, I can relate soo much to this post. Especially this part: "I want my kids to feel my presence and feel confident that they know with them is exactly where I want to be. So, I'm working on finding a "new normal."

    I recently came back to the blogging world after a very long hiatus. It feels good to be back, and to document again .. but I know it won't be nearly as frequent as before, or as most bloggers. & for the first time ever, I'm actually okay with that :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.