Jul 11, 2012

Green Thumb

Today I did a little gardening, it was totally impromptu.  I couldn't resist the 75% off plant sale.  The plants all looked a little wilted and droopy, but I thought with a little TLC they could become something beautiful we would enjoy for many years.

Now, in the past four homes we have owned I have never taken much interest in gardening.  We have always moved about every 2-3 years and I never saw the point, or had the time for that matter.  But, things are different now.  My husband is at the corporate headquarters for his company, so hopefully that means we are settled, no more moves!  I am much more interested in making this home, our home.  Being more thoughtful about how things are done. So when I saw the $4 hydrangeas I quickly picked up 11!  I LOVE hydrangeas.  They were in my wedding bouquet and they are in my parent's yard in my hometown.  I wanted to splash them all over my yard, so I would see them at every angle.


 You see, we live away from our family, it has always been that way.  It has always just been us, wherever we go, no grandmas to babysit, no cousins to play with, just us.  Every time we move, we start over, new friends, new church, new everything, nothing familiar.  But now, we are home.  This is where our kids will graduate from high school, this is where it will say Brooke is from in her wedding announcement one day.  This is home.  I always loved the hydrangeas in my parents yard.  In fact, I just took pictures of them when I was home a few weeks ago.

 So, when I saw some for sale I scooped them up.  I wanted that little reminder of home all around me.  I guess no matter how grown up we become, we still love things that remind us of home.

3 comments:

  1. what a cute lil gardener you are!! and yeah for a new blog!!! that's awesome. i'm flattered that i had a little hand in you starting this up :)

    PS: i'm your first (of many) followers!! yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you have the same hopes as me - to find home and stay put. :)
    I hope it works out for you! It's hard to move so much, but it is nice to have friends everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Kate, I understand how you feel about moving as I have moved all my life. Firstly as a child and secondly as a wife and mother. It is hard not living near family....but we survive it don't we. I love hydrangeas. I love the big, blousey flower heads and I also love the fact that when the flowers are cut from the bush and placed in a vase of water,they last for a good 6 weeks...fabulous.
    Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.