Sep 10, 2012

Delicious and Healthy Nut Butter Banana Bread

I am always on the search for a good banana bread recipe.  My kids and I love it.  I was looking for one that was whole grain, low sugar and high protein, so I could feel good about giving it to my kids on a school day.  I found the original recipe here.  But I tweaked it a bit to fit my food preference.

Whole Wheat Nut Butter Banana Bread

Dry Ingredients:

1 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c ground flax seed
1Tbs baking powder

Toss together with a whisk and set aside



Wet Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup unsweetened Coconut milk ( I prefer So Delicious, but you can use regular milk if you prefer)
1/3 cup soy nut butter (I just had some on hand, next time I will use PB)
1 Egg
2 large very ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla

Blend all wet ingredients in a blender, or with a hand mixer.  This is key to get all wet ingredients smooth.
Pour wet mixture on top of dry mixture and stir with a spatula until well mixed.
Pour in a bread pan and bake for 50-60 min at 350.

After baking gently pop out of pan and while hot wrap in foil.  Let it cool like this and you will have moist delicious banana bread. I let mine cool about 2 hours.  Keep it wrapped in foil to keep moist. 


This was so good the kids asked it they could have it for dessert.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious and my husband will love that it's healthy! And cooling while wrapped in foil is genius. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look delicious!!! I'll have to try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I like to wrap mine in foil to cool in the fridge overnight and then it's ultra-moist! It's also ultra-hard to wait that long. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.