Jan 24, 2013

My Living Room


I don't know about you, but after the holidays I look forward to the simplicity of my everyday home decor.   
This is our living room, it is right off of our kitchen and dining area.  We are in this area of the house the most.  You can see where I get my color inspiration for my blog too!  I love teal/aqua and red, if you couldn't tell.  The  layout of our home is perfect for our lifestyle and  we can all be together while I'm cooking or cleaning up.  Our TV stand is from Pottery Barn Outlet and has wonderful storage, see what's in it at the end of this post. 

  I pulled this look together for my winter/valentine mantel.  I love my little owl perched on the "love" blocks, its my "love bird." The "WE are blessed" sign I found at Dollar General of all places.  I  made the garland from scrapbook paper and just hot glued cut-out hearts to some red yarn I had laying around.  The mirror above the TV is new, from Target.  That bare wall has been begging for some attention the last year and a half we have lived here and I finally went and found the perfect mirror.  I love the sparkle it gives the room. 
The picture of my boys is one of my prized possessions, taken by a dear friend when they were 5 and 3.  Another great friend, gave me the iron wall art last week, after she decided she didn't want it for her own home.  I think it looks perfect above my sweet boys.  The antique desk was in my childhood home and I am thinking about painting it, what do you think?  Color suggestions would be appreciated too. 
This little writer's desk holds stationary and photos.  I also keep my menu planner. notebook and organizer in it.  I have various treasures that are meaningful to me in it, homemade geodes by my son and a sweet pic of me and my honey in college.  I got the little coral boxes at Target over the summer for $1...I heart them so much!!
                   

As you can see, I love to display photos of my 3 little darlings!  These were taken last year and I hope to add to this wall over the years. The table and chairs were my husband's grandmother's and I picked out the fabric and had them reupholstered a few years ago.  
This table we got for about  at Rooms To Go about 10 years ago.  It took quite a beating with my boys, rolling matchbox cars over it.  Last year I painted a harlequin pattern on it and am thrilled with the look.  This table is also functional because it has two storage drawers, at the bottom of this post I will show you what is in them! 
 This little kitchen and table used to be set up in my kitchen, but after moving some furniture around I found this perfect spot for my little girls play nook.  It is out of sight, but still in the main living area. 

 
Our leather couches we got from Rooms To Go, 10 years ago, too.  While I am not a fan of the chilly seat a leather seat offers in the winter, I must say these are a must for little children and pets.  They can take a beating and they only look better with age.  Clean up is a breeze too. 

 This buffet we purchased at  Pottery Barn Outlet.  It holds my table linens and candles and little trinkets on the shelves.  I made a glittered heart and hot glued it to a platter for my Valentine decor. 
   
Our sweet little Cocker Spaniel, Maggie, was catching a snooze on her favorite spot.  The green pillow is from ShopKo. 


 Well that's my living room.  I must say I have moved the furniture in that room about 5 times in the less then 2 years we have lived here, but I really like the set up now.  And as a side note, my favorite place to shop for home decor trinkets/frames/baskets etc. is Hobby Lobby, I never pay full price either, I only buy the item if it is on sale.  I 'm linking up at A Bowl Full of Lemons.




6 comments:

  1. You have such a lovely home and you have found a way to make it inviting for your children too, which is awesome! Have you thought about a teal color for the desk, since you love teal so much? I think it would look beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your living room is lovely! I have a fondness for owls too. If you paint the desk, I think you should choose a color that energizes you and makes you want to sit at the desk and do some work. What color are you always drawn to in your life?

    sagegrayson.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pattern you painted on your table! Such a good idea :). Also loved your chalkboard tutorial a few posts back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! It really shows that you enjoy your home :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your living room is lovely! It looks polished and put-together, but still feels family friendly. I think the desk would be adorable in a fun mustard color, or a pretty aqua. Maybe pull from the colors in those two chairs near it. Can't wait to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those chairs! The fabric you chose is beautiful and I also really like the picture of your two boys on the wall :) Such a cozy and pretty loungeroom Kate!

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.