Feb 5, 2013

Laundry/Craft Room Makeover

I have been working on this room for several months.   It held my cleaning and laundry supplies, but it was large enough to have a creative space in it too, I just need to find the right pieces to make the space.  So, below is how it was  looking  for about the last 8 months.   
I had the desk, it was my brothers as a child, and I gave it a fresh coat of red paint and new hardware.  The chair is from IKEA.  Behind the curtain is my mop, vacuum etc....not the prettiest stuff to look at, but I had this old curtain laying around and it was perfect to keep it out of sight.  I also used an old laundry basket to hold gift wrap, but I have since moved it too the basement, since I rarely need to use it. I made the fabric covered cork board and it holds my favorite pics and the kids are thrilled to have a wall highlighting their best artwork.  I didn't feel very creative in this space though, and it usually became a dumping ground for "stuff"  I didn't have time to deal with.  So I got busy, I wanted a space that inspired me to be creative.   
 
I am so happy with the outcome.  It is fun and energetic, I feel motivated and inspired and actually don't mind doing laundry as much, ok, I really still hate it, but I am motivated to do laundry, so the room stays nice and neat. 
 
The flowered fabric I purchased at Hancock fabric and just folded in all the edges and used no-sew tape, then velcroed it too my window frame....I had not unpacked my sewing machine at this point and did not want to have to sew anything....this worked wonderful! 
I organized these cabinets, with cleaning supplies, dog "stuff" and crafting supplies.  My vacuum, mop and broom are all hiding behind this curtain.  I added some french inspired prints I have had for many years. 
I found these baskets on clearance at TJ Maxx and adore them.  They  are so much cuter than plastic laundry baskets and hold twice as much.  In these cabinets are light bulbs, laundry supplies, towels and extra paper products. 
 
I condensed the art wall a bit and better organized all my art supplies.  I am absolutely in love with this space now! 
I made this wall art from some old canvas's I had laying around.  I covered them with chocolate/cream polka dot fabric and red burlap.  I had these letters laying around too and decoupaged them with scrapbook paper and then hot glued them to the fabric wrapped canvas



I found the shelf at Goodwill for $6, I painted it green that was leftover from my kids bedroom.  I couldn't be happier with the finished product.  I used a tension rod for the spools of ribbon and filled old mason and pasta jars with craft supplies.  On top of the shelf are old college mementos that are special to me. 



 This white cabinet was also found at Goodwill for $8.  It is solid wood and I was smitten with the sweet details of this piece, a fresh coat of paint was all it needed.    I cut out the flowers on the bins from left-over fabric from the curtains.  To spruce up some cheap plastic shoe boxes, I decoupaged leftover fabric to the lid   I glued a piece of scrapbook paper to a file box to add a little loveliness to that too. 

All in all, I spent very little to makeover my laundry room.  I have never been a big thrifter, until recently.  In an effort to become more green,  I am finding looking at a Goodwill first, is a wonderful resource.  I have some ideas up my sleeve for an Etsy store and now I have the perfect space to work in. 

I'm linking up to the following sites:
A Bowl Full Of Lemons
New Nostalgia


5 comments:

  1. WOW! WOW! WOW! This looks amazing! What a cheery place to craft and do laundry! Sometimes I forget that I can make our laundry room look pretty. Maybe you've inspired this girl to do something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks soooo good!! i love it all. especially the kid's art. so fun!! and i need those big baskets. need i tell ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. All the elements really warm it up and make it feel cozy. I love the curtain valance you made. I'm following you back...thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the room looks amazing! I especially like the craft area (and the green!). Great makeover. I'm sure your redesign will make doing laundry a little less boring.

    sagegrayson.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.