Mar 11, 2013

How I Grocery Shop on a "Real Food" Diet



One of my goals this year was to spend money more thoughtfully on the food we eat.  About a year ago, we started eating only Real Food, here is more info about it.  It basically means no processed or added chemicals, preservatives, colors or flavors. We also, eliminated as much refined white sugar and flour as we could.   This took away most processed foods and added a major increase in our monthly shopping budget, We follow this diet about 90% of the time.  

Eating healthier has made a dramatic improvement in my kids behavior and attention at school and any of us rarely get sick.   If they do have an occasional treat, like a slushy from the gas station...I see and almost immediate change in their personality....it is actually very concerning to me it is legal to sell food products with these dangerous additives in them.  Most foreign countries, do not even allow them in their food supplies, yet the US still does!!  If you are interested in reading more info, click on this link.  We rarely eat fast food and ice cream and cupcakes are saved for school and special occasions.  They still eat cookies and other treats, but I make them with whole wheat flour and natural unrefined sweeteners. 

I have done a lot of research and have finally found a way to shop for my family, that is easier on the budget and I sleep better at night, knowing I am feeding my kids a healthy diet. 

First, I found a local provider for our meat.  Just about 20 miles from my house is an organic beef, lamb, chicken and pork farm.  They have a little store and I drive over once a month and pick out from a wide assortment of products.  All of their bacon and ham are nitrite free, if you want to educate yourself about nitrites click here.  Their prices are cheaper then the organic offerings at the grocery store and they let us visit and feed the baby animals when we go.  The kids love it and I feel wonderful knowing exactly where my meat is coming from.  You can find a farm in your area at Eat Wild.
Down the road a few miles from the farm is a Bulk Goods store run by a Mennonite family.  The sell fresh eggs, bread, nuts, spices and baking supplies, as well as essential oils and natural cleaners. Many of their products are organic and the prices can't be beat.  I travel here once a month too.
Then, weekly I visit the grocery store.  I purchase most organic fruits and veggie's and stick with whatever is on sale.  This week, they had a great sale on frozen organic fruits and veggies, so I stocked up.  I usually by some sweet treat, for dessert, this week it was meringue cookies.  I also buy a healthier version of a frozen pizza and have chicken nuggets or burritos on hand for quick dinners.  We drink coconut milk, but I am interested in trying Raw milk, have you tried it? We also plan on joining a CSA this summer and we will receive an assortment of organic produce weekly. 
We do also eat yogurt and cheese, which I get at my husbands company at there employee store at a discounted price, I purchase this monthly too.  

For snacks my kids eat fruit, nuts, cheese, tortilla chips, popcorn and the fruit filled bars from the bulk store (very similar to fig newtons.)  For breakfast we eat granola, yogurt, oatmeal and toast with cheese or peanut butter.  I also make waffles and pancakes with sausage and bacon.  Lunches are meat/cheese or pbj sandwich,  fruit and veggie, and water.(1-2 times a week they eat hot lunch.)  Dinner is easy, meat, fruit, veggie and usually pasta or rice. 

While this way of shopping is more time consuming on the days I go to the meat and bulk store, my time at the main grocery store has cut way down.  I used to scour the isles reading ingredient boxes, now I only buy very basic ingredients or stick to the same products.  This way of cooking and meal planning is really very basic and easy.  I have not done as much meal planning through cookbooks, as I used to and I find I am not spending as much money on one time ingredients.  I am able to keep my monthly grocery bill under $700 which, is about $500 less then when I first started this way of cooking.   How do you grocery shop? Do you find it a challenge to purchase healthy food for your family on a budget? 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I am super-impressed with your family's dedication to eating well on a budget. I have no idea if we have those types of resources near where I live, but you've motivated me to look into it. I love the way you break everything down. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not either, but once I looked and asked around i found them. I feel so satisfied shopping this way and the kids enjoying visiting the different stores too. I thought I would get much more complaining about not having "junk" food around, but they seem fine.

      Delete
  2. you are good!!! i love seeing how people shop. i really should go to my local meat market. i am so used to local South Dakota beef...the beef here stinks from the grocery store. thanks for the good ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popping over from iheartorganizing :) (love your mudroom!). I love this post. I have battled how to go about doing this for a long time now. We try and buy organic and fresh foods as much as possible, but it ends up leaving us with lots of cooking when we need some quick dinners at times. I think I have just been a little bit of a chicken in costing moving over to the "less processed" portion of our stores. I hadn't realized they carried things like chicken nuggets and pizzas. Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.