Oct 20, 2012

Day 18- Don't Be Afraid Of Counseling



While writing about creating family bliss, I have been assuming things are already peachy keen with your marriage , yourself esteem and no major problems with your children.  I don't assume with my marriage or anyone elses that problems will never arise.  Or that my kids, in all stages in life will behave the exact way I want them too, because they won't.  Growing up, I don't think it was very 'June Cleaver-ish' to admit you were in counseling.  If you did go, I'm sure it was hush hush and you drove to a different town. 

I have gone to counseling a few times,  when different issues arose that I felt I just needed to talk and get someone elses perspective.  I was nervous going into it, but guess what, I absolutely loved it!  When else do YOU get to talk to someone and not feel like you are giving TMI, or this person will remember it and always judge you or the person you are talking about.  It is also great, to get a point of view from someone who doesn't know the other party, or you, your whole life.  The options are endless when it comes to seeking help.  The days of feet up, laying on a couch, in a shrinks office have been replaced, with spa like settings, or options like art therapy or yoga and movement therapy.

The couple times I have seeked advice for a situation, I have felt like I was talking to an old friend.  I had a cup of tea, I sat in a relaxing room with a fountain dripping in the background, the smell of lemongrass permeating the air.  I would go back every week if I just didn't have to pay for a sitter or a copay.   I got sound advice, felt great that I had gotten my worries and concerns off my chest and went home happy and satisfied.  I remember thinking this is great!

 If the thought of spilling your guts to a stranger leaves you feeling uncomfortable, talk to your pastor at church or another trusted individual.  The bottom line is "stuff" happens and when it does don't be afraid to talk to someone about.  Keeping things in, only builds up to resentment and dis-ease in your life.  




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. So often, people are embarrassed to admit they have attended counseling, but it can be so beneficial. It has helped me and my marriage both be stronger.

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.