Oct 9, 2012

Day 9 - Routine is a good thing!



Since my kids were babies we have had a morning and bedtime routine.  I believe this has helped tremendously in getting to bed in an orderly fashion and getting off to school without yelling "hurry up"!!  The kids know what is expected of them and for us, the kids don't seem to argue if the sheet of paper says to do something, rather then it coming from mama's mouth!

 According to the Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning, Studies have documented that schedules and routines influence children's emotional, cognitive, and social development. Predictable and consistent schedules in preschool classrooms help children feel secure and comfortable. Also, schedules and routines help children understand the expectations of the environment and reduce the frequency of behavior problems, such as tantrums and acts of aggression.

We do this with after school chores too.  I just make a simple checklist of what needs to be done, they mark it off when they finish and we are all satisfied with the result.  I blogged about our kids routines here and you can download your own schedules and edit to fit your family.  I have also included a basic bedtime routine with pictures for toddlers.  Just like my Facebook page to download copies.

All of my kids seem to like the sense of security a routine brings and for me, the less bedtime and morning battles, the happier the family.  Do you all have set routines? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.