Feb 7, 2013

The Story Behind My Blog Name

I wanted to start a blog about a year ago and you know what tripped me up...a name!!  I couldn't for the life of me come up with a name that I was happy with and portrayed the theme I was going for.  Then, one weekend, my extremely supportive hubby, was like, "Just do it, sit down right now and come up with a name and do this thing!"  So we started brainstorming.  He started thinking about song titles.  That got me thinking about songs that have had the most meaning to me and my life events.
Me when I was 9 with the kamp director, Kay Holiday

When I was growing up, I was blessed to go to a christian athletic camp for a month each summer, called Kanakuk Kamp.  It was the highlight of my year.  Year after year, I would look forward to the familiar faces and spritual recharge I would attain after a month at this camp.  I was extremely blessed and I feel it is one of the best things my parents did for me, in regards to my faith.  One year a counselor, that had formly been a camper was a singer and song writer and had recorded an album.  I remember begging  my parents for a copy.  It quickly became one of my most played albums.  Many years later, I would sing the sweet melodies to my babies, while I rocked them to sleep.    One of those songs was called,  Room To Grow, the singer was Ashley Johnston.  I have googled her a dozen times and never find anything.  Even though, she may not be singing anymore, her sweet words touched the heart of a young lady and inspired the title of the my blog, more than 20 years later.  I recorded this from my tape, so please excuse the poor quality.  



Room To Grow By: Ashley Johnston
Nothing ventured nothing gained am I right or wrong
listen closely there's a message in my song
perhaps you've heard many times and you think you know,
but believe me my friend there's still room to grow

Once upon a time in a land not so far away
walked a man through the desert all the live long day
searching high and low for the rivers flow
he never gave in, he believed there was room to grow.
though the rain did not come when he gave his call
patiently he waited and the rain began to fall
filling him with gladness and reason to live on
he believed and he began to grow

well now here's a story of a lady who was hunky dory
had everything she could want, maybe even more
until one day when the queen returned to her palace
to find only ashes scattered on the floor
such a tragedy, her riches all destroyed
now she'd have to look elsewhere to find her inner joy
she through her hands up to the sky and cried as if she'd known
heaven knows there's room to grow

well now I share the heart of my own, I once was blind, but now I see
i've still got a long way to go, don't get me wrong
but I  believe in a God who knows my name
and he's calling me back home
until that day you know, I know, there's room to grow

yeah, room to grow
for I believe that He that began a good work in me,
will be faithful to complete it perfectly
until that day you know that I will call
upon my Lord, to show me where there's room to grow


Update!!  Read here to find out how I finally connected to Ashley. 

10 comments:

  1. I love the title of your blog!! And because it has so much meaning to you it's even more special :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the name of your blog too! and i love this explaination. how sweet. so cool to hear the back story. have a great day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story and a lovely song. So sweet, it made me smile. Thanks for sharing your story. I like the blog redesign too.

    sagegrayson.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing the story behind blog names! It is a difficult and lasting decision, and you did a great job choosing a name that is personal, meaningful, and simple enough to remember! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse. I always wonder about other's blog name's too.

      Delete
  5. While in church on Ash Wednesday, the priest was talking about "giving things up" for Lent and working toward being a better person because we all have "room to grow"! It made me smile and think of your blog. :)
    LA :)
    www.simplysmilingblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley was my counselor too! She is one of the few I remember from K-1. I remember he shoulder length brown hair and the guitar she had!

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.