Mar 26, 2013

Kitchen Mini-Makeover Reveal

I'm finally finished with my mini-kitchen makeover!  I have really disliked the dull, yellowy/tan color my kitchen has been since we moved in about a year and a half ago, you can see more pics of it here.  I have big dreams for white cabinets, granite counters and new appliances.  But the hubby says the cabinets are NOT getting painted, he says you DON'T paint custom made maple cabinets.  Whatever...I wanted a bright, happy kitchen!  The cost for this kitchen mini-makeover was $515. I think I spent about $345 on the island, $145 on new accessories and $25 on the wall paint and supplies.    I am so happy with what a little (ok it was alot) paint can do to a room and some new accessories.  Check out the before and after, then I'll get to the details. 

Look at how just changing the paint color of the walls, also seemed to change the color of the cabinets!  I actually like the cabinets now.  We also revamped our island to make it stand out and look custom made.  I will share details on how we did this on a later post.   


                   
The table runner I found at Pier 1 Imports and it became my color palette inspiration.  It ties in nicely with the colors in my adjoining living room.  The flowers are from Restoration Hardware and the platters were wedding gifts, many years ago.
                  
 When it came time to decorate, I scoured my favorite stores and found most items in the clearance section.  I found the red lantern at Pier 1, the vase I had and just added some pretty ribbon.  The candle is my favorite scent, Sweet Grass, from Target.  The Snack Station is new and is working out really nicely for the kids. I found both the tray and tiered wire stand from Hobby Lobby.  The fish I found at Target last year.   The owl folding the straws is from Hobby Lobby I have it filled with dried fruit, nuts, fresh fruit and granola bars.  I don't mind if the kids snack from here throughout the day.  I store the dried fruit in glass jars.

The fish is from Target and is holding a fun art project from one of my boys.  The balloon print I won via Instagram from KatyGirl Designs, I found and old frame and gave it a quick change of color.  The faith art work I made and the Family Rules sign I had, but added a painted red frame to set it off.  The cookie jar was made by my sons classroom. 
The frame pic above the branches is from Hobby Lobby and I have had the vase and branches forever.  The birdhouse painting was on clearance at Pier 1 and the aqua flower is from Hobby Lobby.  I moved all my papers directly to my office and it is so nice to have a tidy spot for the phone.  I also moved my coffee station and pulled out my single cup maker.  I have found TJ Maxx to be an awesome spot for finding yummy flavoring for my cup of joe. 


I added color to many of my little friends that reside about my cabinets. I have had all these items for many years.   I lightly brushed the pineconey statue and the metal pitcher with aqua paint, I gave a little bow-tie and some yellow paint to Mr. Chicken and added a simple ribbon on the white pitcher. All these items now really pop, against the white walls. 
ÅKERKULLA rug, low pile Length: 4 ' 11 " Width: 2 ' 7 " Surface density: 8 oz/sq ft Length: 150 cm Width: 80 cm Surface density: 2400 g/m²
I also got this rug from IKEA, but you can't see it very well in the pics, I  love it!

The room is so cheerful and bright now.  I'm kicking myself I didn't take action sooner!  If you have a space that seems drab, simply changing the wall color can make a huge impact.  Then checkout the clearance racks and don't forget that spray paint is your friend!

6 comments:

  1. I love it!! I could imagine sitting and chatting over a cup of coffee in your kitchen :)
    I love all your homely (is that a word?) touches, the signs and pitchers and trays oh and the lemonade sign is the exact same one I have my eyes on buying for our kitchen on ebay!! Good job with it all and yes, I agree that the fresh paint has changed the colour of the cabinets! Oooh I adore the island bench too and the special added touches on the end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the white to brighten the room and the pops of color are just perfect. They give a whimsical and cozy feel to the space. I cannot wait to see how you did the island...I think that is my favorite part of the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks so much more open & bright!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quote at the end of your post...what a woman to learn from!! 1 Corinthians 10:13 I love your use of red in each of your rooms, very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your newly painted kitchen cabinets! A simple paint can transform a place and revive it from dullness. Are you painting the other cabinets, by the way?

    -Felix Brooks @ CRSToRoof

    ReplyDelete
  6. It didn’t make much difference, but it looks cooler with the new paint color. The green looks bright and warm with the lights on. I know your husband said you can’t paint the cabinets, but I think they should be repainted with a color that will go along with the island. Arthur @
    ContractorExpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to meet and connect with my readers. Feel free to leave a comment on my Facebook page if you aren't registered to leave comments through Blogger. I will reply via e-mail or right here on my blog. Make sure and click Subscribe by e-mail, under the comment box, to be notified of any replies to your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me what you think.